Monday, October 11, 2010

Vocalists Are Suicidal

I just now realized that 3 of my 5 all time favorite vocalists killed themselves. How strange is that?

Jon Nodtveidt
Born: June 28, 1975
Died: August 13, 2006
Method of Death: Self-inflicted gunshot wound 
Band: Dissection
Vocalist and Guitarist

Dissection is probably my favorite band. I bought "Reinkaos" when it first came out in Europe before it was even out in the U.S.. Well, I made my grandparents buy it for me. But none-the-less I still got it first thing. Highly influential album in my life. And of course I still love Storm of Light's Bane and Somberlain, two equally fantastic albums that still get most of my playtime.




Rozz Williams
Born: November 6, 1963
Died: April 1, 1998
Method of Death: Hanging
Band: Christian Death
Vocalist

Christian Death is one of my 3 favorite Goth bands, alongside the Sisters of Mercy and Fields of the Nephilim. Rozz Williams was the frontman for the old Christian Death, and he did a fantastic job of it. I wish I would have been aware of music when Rozz was around, but sadly I never had the chance. The best I can do is keep re-listening to Only Theatre of Pain and accept the fact that Valor Krond has ruined the band. And no, not just because he isn't Rozz Williams. I love the Atrocities album. It's because he turned one of the best Goth/Death Rock bands into...whatever you'd call a band that releases an album as terrible as "American Inquisition." And that is unforgivable.




"Dead" (Per Yngve Ohlin)
Born: January 16, 1969
Died: April 18, 1991
Method of Death: Self inflicted gunshot wound
Band: Mayhem
Vocalist

Dead was the vocal pioneer for the first Black Metal act, Mayhem. He was a very strange and interesting person, to say the least. He basically created the concept of corpse paint because he wanted to look like a real corpse on stage. He developed what most would consider a morbid obsession with death after he fell into a frozen lake and nearly died. It carried over for the rest of his life. To give you an idea, one of his most famous attributed quotes is "Jag är inte en människa. Det här är bara en dröm, och snart vaknar jag. Det var för kallt och blodet levrades hela tiden." It translates to "I am not a human! This is just a dream and soon I will awake! It was too cold and my blood was frozen all the time!"




Very interesting. Still leaves me with two of my favorite top 5 vocalists, Andrew Eldritch and Carl McCoy. Eldritch probably won't be kicking the bucket any time soon unless his health fails him, and likewise I don't see Carl McCoy opting to kill himself either. Either way, I should definitely pencil in concerts just in case. I've already seen the Sisters live, but seeing them again would be fun. Definitely need to see Fields live. That must be nuts.

Well, that's all I've got for now. Nothing new to report on the Thelema front. Been doing some research on Eliphas Levi and I might get to posting some background on him, but college and work is keeping me plenty busy. Hope to get around to some more posting. Til then, enjoy my favorite song from Christian Death's "Atrocities." It's called Tales of Innocence.





As always, Love Under Will.

93/93

Previous/Next

No comments:

Post a Comment